Full-Time Senior Advocacy and Impact Analyst
Transparentem is a discreet, non-profit unit that illuminates supply chains and spurs eradication of human and environmental abuses. We use frontline investigative reporting and forensic methods in compliance with international ethical standards. A public service initiative, Transparentem is a sentinel, not a saboteur, to industries at inflection points. We believe that securing and improving the lives and environments of workers at all tiers of off-shored industry must start with independent, methodical inquiry. We are currently focused on the apparel, accessories, and footwear industries.
After an investigation, we deliver our findings to select entities best positioned to leverage their influence to positively impact vulnerable populations and remediate degraded environments. Transparentem does not publish the products of its investigations, but rather distributes them to regulators, investors, advocacy groups, and select journalists best positioned to use the materials to leverage additional change.
We are seeking a Senior Advocacy and Impact Analyst to join our Strategic Engagement team. The team advocates for worker-focused remediation strategies to companies through individualized reports. The team develops these recommendations by conducting both desk-based research and by consulting with local and international labor and environmental experts, unions, and government agencies. This work will require regular travel to the field.
The candidate who fills this position will have a strong background in labor rights and will:
- Conduct due diligence on potential remediation partners, such as country-specific NGOs and international organizations for each investigation;
- Identify and benchmark progressive practices for remediation of specific labor rights violations and environmental abuses to inform plans of action by brands and retailers;
- Recommend context- and investigation-specific advocacy strategies for implementation by companies, investors, NGOs, or others to catalyze industry shifts that improve working conditions for workers in supply chains;
- Serve as Transparentem’s in-house expert on impact throughout the course of entire supply chain investigations and inform remediation strategy for all investigations;
- Be willing to travel domestically and internationally in order to carry out the above areas of work.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for individuals with:
- At least 5 years experience working on supply-chain labor issues. The candidate will ideally have experience working in Asia and familiarity with the apparel industry.
- An understanding of issues facing workers throughout supply chains, from final manufacturing facilities to raw material production, and of the role of the private sector in promoting human rights and sustainable development;
- The ability to conduct both desk- and field-based research to develop remediation strategies for specific labor rights abuses, within a variety of country contexts;
- Familiarity with best practices that corporations sourcing globally must adapt to ensure the protection of workers’ rights, support for decent working conditions, and development of ethical supply chains;
- The ability to write articulate and convincing reports on how companies can demonstrate leadership in social responsibility practices;
- Passionate interest in corporate accountability;
- Knowledge of ongoing efforts to use business strategies to create social impact, as undertaken by labor rights groups, multi-stakeholder initiatives (MSIs), industry associations, non-profit organizations;
- Creative thinking on strategies for collaboration between companies, governments, and NGOs to improve industry practices as a result of specific Transparentem investigations;
- Fluency in English;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- An advanced degree in supply chain management, business administration, human rights, law, journalism, or other relevant field preferred;
- U.S. work authorization required.
The role reports to the Vice President of Strategic Engagement.
Location: Brooklyn, NY or Washington, DC
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience
Start date: Immediate
How to Apply
Transparentem is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and encourage all interested candidates to apply. Please apply directly on our website, www.transparentem.com/position-openings/