Full-Time Senior Associate Director of Accounting
Senior Associate Director of Accounting
Reports to the Senior Associate Director of Accounting
The Senior Associate Director of Accounting will be responsible for implementing and managing various accounting functions for the North Star Academy network. Initial responsibilities include payroll and accounts payable, as well as managing the implementation of the Time and Attendance payroll function. The role will expand and transition to full responsibility for all of North Star Academy accounting functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage all aspects of current and future payroll processing and provide comprehensive quality control to achieve on time, error free payrolls.
- Manage payroll updates for NJ pension (TPAF, PERS, DCRP) and produce the IROC quarterly
- Respond to payroll data requests by utilizing ADP custom reporting tool
- Manage Federal Grant employee tagging
- Manage Quarter End and Year End Payroll processing
- Manage the implementation of the ADP Time and Attendance project
- Manage all aspects of the Accounts Payable using CharterAP and MIP
- Develop expertise in CharterAP to support user requests quickly and accurately
- Develop MIP expertise in A/P, reporting, and GL maintenance
- Manage vendor additions, changes and annual 1099 reporting
- Ensure timely payment of accounting related invoices (Rent, Due to From)
- Field vendor requests and reach out to schools as needed
- Conduct Accounts Payable review and cleanup including encumbrances
- Manage Accounts Receivable, Cash Receipts, Cash Disbursements, GL change requests
- Manage budget update process and support the Finance team as needed
- Manage Bank Pickup and Deposit Process
- Manage monthly Board and School Reporting including balance sheets, profit/loss statements and other NJ required reports.
- Respond to GL data requests by utilizing MIP reporting
- Review Bank Reconciliation process, follow-up on unusual items and manage suspense
- Year end closing journal entries
- Prepare for and support the annual audit
Accounting Team Support and Management
- Manage staff including performance reviews and staff development
- Enforces and maintains our fiscal policies and procedures
- Develop and conduct training for Operational Staff (Office Managers, Directors of Operations, Fellows)
- Manage End of Year and Start of Year tasks (including New School setup)
- Conducts research required for strategic team initiatives, special projects, and other special requests for accounting information
- Performs various accounting, administrative and other related duties as assigned and required by the role
Reports to Senior Associate Director of Accounting and works closely with the entire Accounting and Financial Management teams; interacts with all Home Office personnel and school based teams.
Required knowledge, skills & abilities
- Strong Accounting background, CPA preferred
- Expertise with accounting principles and able to read financial statements
- Expertise in payroll processing (ADP Workforce Now a plus)
- Experience with accounting software programs. (Abila MIP Accounting a plus; willing to train)
- Skilled in dealing with financial and numeric data
- Experience in bookkeeping for a multi-site organization preferred
- Skilled in use of MS Excel.
- MS Word experience
- Strong writing capabilities.
- Obsessive attention to detail and follow-through.
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Financial management skills
- Strong Project management skills
- Staff management experience
- Ability to create and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency
- Strong problem-solving abilities
- Ability to work well in a team
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related area
- Minimum 4+ years of experience in non-profit development, accounting, or public sector finance preferred.
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting and public sector finance.
- Experience in New Jersey K-12 public education preferred.
- Accounting Degree