Full-Time Senior Associate Director of IT, Support (New York City)
Uncommon Schools (Uncommon) is a nonprofit organization that starts and manages outstanding urban charter public schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students in high poverty, high need areas to graduate from college. Uncommon currently manages 52 schools serving nearly 18,000 students in six cities: Boston, New York City, Newark, Camden, Rochester, and Troy.
Who are we? We are a community of educators, families, and students united by the fierce belief that every student can graduate from college. We signed on to this mission because we believe educational inequity is an American crisis. We are a committed group of people who bring tenacity, dedication, and celebration to our work each day. We love fun, and we love focus. With the right balance, we’re able to ensure that our students are prepared to get to and through college.
As a member of Uncommon’s IT Support team, the Senior Associate Director will assist in the planning, coordination, and execution of the team’s work to ensure that the goals and objectives associated with the IT Support team’s strategic plan are achieved. He/she will manage a newly created Tier 1 service model which will support all schools via a ticketing system, ZenDesk. The Senior Associate Director will be expected to develop close working relationships with our school teams. The Senior Associate Director of IT, Support will report to the Director of IT, Support.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
(1) Expert administration of PowerSchool, Uncommon’s Student Information System (SIS) & Illuminate
- Use robust understanding of PowerSchool to improve support systems and process, e.g. Report Card support
- Proactively and consistently communicate with Directors of Operations (DOOs) to research and develop best-practice processes and systems related to PowerSchool
- Create training materials and facilitate training for new PowerSchool users
- Support the implementation and roll-out of new applications alongside our Data & IT team colleagues
- Experience using SQL database management software, like TOAD, to build queries and reports.
(2) Management of Tier 1 Support staff
- Create training materials and conduct training for Tier 1 staff on all supported applications
- Manage Tier 1 staff to provide responsive and courteous support to schools
- Oversee management of tickets through issue tracking system (ZenDesk)
- Respond to feedback and satisfaction surveys to build strong Tier 1 support culture
(3) Process Efficiency Advancement and Project Management
- Partner with stakeholders, including other D&IT teammates, to identify pain points, and recommend process and platform changes to increase efficiency
- Create necessary links between vendors and internal Uncommon teams to ensure optimal productivity
- Develop an understanding of the structure and availability of school data to facilitate projects
- Work closely with Uncommon IT and Data teams to collaborate on the roll-out and support of any new technology platforms and any data integration work.
(4) Training and documentation
- Proactively manage Tier 1 staff to document best practice use cases
- Work with School Leaders to document existing processes related to supported applications (e.g. documentation of methods and procedures of PowerSchool)
- Identify training opportunities through analysis of support issues
Work closely with regionally-based Associate Chief Operating Officers, school-based Directors of Operations, and members of the Data and IT Team.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Experience with a Student Information System (SIS) – training in PowerSchool will be provided if needed
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to prioritize and communicate effectively with non-technical users
- Demonstrated ability to diagnose issues, identify root causes, and implement effective solutions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and experience developing communication plans
- Willingness to perform hands-on work as well as assisting in strategic projects
- Results-oriented and committed to operational excellence
- Self-sufficient with the ability to ask questions and request help when needed
- Demonstrated ability and experience working with SQL database management software, such as TOAD or PGAdmin
- Advanced skills in Excel and Google Applications (Sheets, Forms, etc.)
- Passion for learning and teaching new applications and products
- Demonstrated excellent personal effectiveness strategies (organization, time management, and follow-up skills)
- Proven track record of developing systems for the team that improves the team’s work quality and/or efficiency
- Has lead planning for getting buy-in from stakeholders
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail
Preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Experience managing students information systems such as PowerSchool and Illuminate
- Experience managing policies and procedures to set best practices and deliver high-quality support
- Working knowledge of help desk ticketing software (e.g. Zendesk).
- Experience with Google Apps for Education
Minimum educational level
- Bachelor’s degree required