Full-Time Senior Director of Financial Management
Reports to the Chief Financial Officer
The Senior Director of Financial Management is the team leader responsible for driving Uncommon’s strategic financial goals forward. He or she will have a deep understanding of school and home office financials to enable strong, data-driven recommendations and will oversee modeling, budgeting, forecasting and other special finance projects necessary to achieve finance’s goals. S/he will oversee an operating budget of approximately $340 million
The Senior Director is committed to Uncommon’s mission, has deep financial planning and analysis expertise and is an excellent communicator capable of distilling complex concepts into clear narratives for diverse audiences, including boards and senior leadership team members.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Financial Modeling & Analysis
- Utilize financial models to support strategic decision making across the organization. The Senior Director must be able to use models as well as coach others to build and maintain excellent financial models based on rigorous analysis.
- Critically assess model assumptions and scenarios, highlighting risks and mitigating factors.
- Define metrics to monitor and predict the financial performance entities across the organization. Develop systems to track performance metrics and make decisions around resource allocation.
- Identify areas for cost efficiencies.
- Budgeting and Forecasting
- Lead the annual budgeting process, culminating with financially healthy budgets, which may require tradeoffs. Anticipate risks and possible windfalls, making the appropriate people aware and mapping out a plan to address possible budgetary changes.
- Oversee the budget forecasting process during the fiscal year, managing the team to ensure budgets are accurate and support solid decision-making.
- Define key financial metrics to review regularly with the team and Senior Leadership.
- Partner with Development and Accounting teams on private grants, reviewing asks, allocations and booking of awards.
- Oversee Federal grants portfolio totaling ~$25MM annually, ensuring all grant awards are earned and received compliantly.
- Management and Relationships
- Manage the Financial Management team of 6+ team members, supporting their growth and setting positive team culture.
- Develop strong working relationships with regional leadership, home office staff and school staff.
- Develop credibility with boards and serve as finance liaison on certain finance presentations.
- Establish a network of external stakeholders to support Uncommon’s mission.
- MBA or another advanced degree, or comparable experience of a minimum of 10 years
- Financial modeling expertise and excellent quantitative skills
- Highly effective communicator, capable of distilling complex concepts
- Highly systems and process oriented
- Ability to manage a team effectively
- Ability to delegate effectively but with the ability to work in Microsoft office programs yourself
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced and hard-working environment
- Personal qualities of honesty, integrity, credibility, commitment to quality, and dedication to the mission of Uncommon