Full-Time Senior Director of Financial Management
Senior Director of Financial Planning and Analysis
Uncommon Schools (“Uncommon”) starts and manages outstanding urban charter public schools that close the achievement gap and prepare low-income students to graduate from college. Uncommon is a non-profit network of 53 public charter schools in New York City, New Jersey, and Massachusetts. Uncommon operates in six regions: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester and Troy with over 20,000 students, over 2,200 staff and more than 100 school leaders and an annual operating budget in excess of $340 million.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Senior Director of Financial Planning and Analysis is the team leader responsible for translating Uncommon’s strategic direction into the development of short-range and long-range financial plans and turning those plans into annual budgets. The Senior Director is committed to Uncommon’s mission, has deep financial planning and analysis expertise, and is an excellent communicator capable of distilling complex concepts into clear narratives for diverse internal and external audiences, including boards, senior leaders at Uncommon, foundations, lenders, and other private funders.
In carrying out his/her responsibilities, the Senior Director must be able to master charter school financial modeling, and integrate those concepts into data-driven annual budgets and long-range projections.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Financial Modeling and Analysis
- Utilize financial models to support strategic decision-making across the organization. The Senior Director must be able to use models as well as coach others to build and maintain excellent financial models based on rigorous analysis.
- Critically assess model assumptions and scenarios, highlighting risks and mitigating factors.
- Define metrics to monitor and predict the financial performance entities across the organization. Develop systems to track performance metrics and make decisions around resource allocation.
- Identify areas for cost efficiencies.
- Together with the CFO, develop alternative long-range and short-range scenarios for review by senior management and the Uncommon Board.
- Budgeting and Forecasting
- Lead the annual budgeting process, culminating with financially healthy budgets. Anticipate risks and possible windfalls, making the appropriate people aware and mapping out a plan to address possible budgetary changes.
- Oversee the budget implementation during the fiscal year, managing the team to ensure budgets are accurate and support solid decision-making.
- Define key financial metrics to be reviewed regularly by senior management and the Uncommon Board.
- Together with the CFO, engage CEO and Senior Management, the Finance Committee and the Uncommon Board on budget and strategic financial planning.
- Management and Relationships
- Manage and inspire the Financial Management team of 8+ members, supporting individual growth and setting a positive team culture.
- Develop strong working relationships with regional leadership, Home Office staff, and school leaders.
- Develop credibility with boards and serve as finance liaison on finance presentations.
- Establish a network of external stakeholders to support Uncommon’s mission.
- Participate with other stakeholders to help design and implement integrated accounting, financial planning, and human resources business and technology systems to support all aspects of Uncommon’s management operations.
- MBA or other advanced degrees, or comparable experience of a minimum of 10 years
- Financial modeling expertise and excellent quantitative skills
- Budget development and implementation experience in a complex organization
- Facility with complex financial systems
- Highly effective communicator, capable of distilling complex concepts
- Highly systems- and process-oriented
- Ability to manage and inspire a team effectively
- Ability to delegate effectively
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced and hard-working environment
- Personal qualities of honesty, integrity, credibility, commitment to quality, and dedication to the mission of Uncommon