Full-Time Senior Director of Human Resources
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
New York, NY
Uncommon Schools (Uncommon) is a nonprofit organization that starts and manages outstanding urban charter public schools that close the achievement gap and prepares low-income students to graduate from college. We have achieved outstanding academic results based on internal assessments, statewide exams, and graduation milestones. Our schools are among the highest-performing urban schools in their cities and states. We proudly work for the 18,000 students in our 53 schools across three states in six cities, and are passionately committed to their success!
Human Resources Team Overview
The Uncommon Human Resources team is based in New York City and provides HR support to 2,300+ staff members across 53 schools and the Home Office (HO). Working in close collaboration with regional and school leaders, as well as HO managers, the team provides high-quality HR operations services as part of Uncommon’s overall investment in our people. The team works closely with Uncommon’s other Talent teams, including Recruitment, Talent Development, and Diversity to deliver a best-in-class employee experience.
We are seeking a high-energy, detail-oriented, people-driven leader who will set the strategic direction for the HR team, execute with excellence on our people operations priorities, and build deep and lasting relationships with school, regional, and HO leaders. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Strategic Vision & Planning
- Partnering with senior leaders and the Chief Talent Officer to identify, prioritize, and implement key people initiatives that will support and drive org-wide efforts to deliver a best-in-class employee experience.
- Leading and contributing to near and long term strategic planning efforts across the team.
- Developing a comprehensive strategy and implementation plan to scale HR operations for a growing, multi-site organization.
- Designing and continuously improving transactional systems and processes to maximize the efficiency and efficacy of our processes and systems, while ensuring compliance across key HR workstreams.
- Managing the continued implementation and use of existing HR Technology in support of delivering high quality HR services, including serving as the HR lead on an org-wide Technology System Change initiative which will likely result in adoption and rollout of new HRIS systems and tools.
- Collaborating with other teams to ensure collection of, access to, and delivery of key people data for organizational needs while leveraging it to empower leaders to make data-driven decisions.
- Designing workforce planning processes and reporting (staffing projections and needs analysis)
HR Policies & Compliance
- Staying abreast of changes to local/state/federal laws (across all 6 Uncommon regions) that could impact personnel policies, internal processes, etc.
- Working closely with leadership to propose and recommend any necessary policy changes in light of new laws, organizational needs, etc.
- Team Management
- Serving as an exceptional role model as a leader and manager, investing deeply in supporting and developing HR team members and growing their capacity to learn, contribute and engage in the work of the team and organization.
- Establish department and individual staff goals that contribute to organizational objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s and Lean Six-Sigma certification a plus
- Professional Human Resources Certification required (SHRM-SCP or SPHR)
- 7 to 10 years of progressive experience in administrative management of HR operations and HRIS systems.
- Experience scaling operations and/or providing HR support to multi-site organizations.
- Knowledge of federal and state (NY, NJ, and/or MA) regulations related to administration of HR operations & data systems
Skills and Experience
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills; ability to prioritize and demonstrate an appropriate sense of urgency
- Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills that lead to systems thinking
- Strong client focus and an ability to work and communicate effectively with a wide range of constituents
- Ability to project manage and strong attention to detail
- Deep commitment to self-reflection and continued growth
- Outstanding judgment, sensitivity and high discretion
- Thrives in evolving, fast-paced, high-change dynamic organizations
- Above average knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint