Full-Time Social Media and Marketing Content Manager (New York City)
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 52 outstanding schools in grades K through 12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. We are the largest public charter school network in the Northeast, and one of the highest performing. Our mission is to open and operate outstanding public charter schools that close the opportunity gap in low-income neighborhoods, and prepare students for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission today.
Marketing & Communications Team at Uncommon Schools
We are passionate about telling the stories of our outstanding students and our all-star teachers and leaders, about speaking out on important issues facing our communities, and we bring to life the names and stories behind the charts and graphs of our students’ outstanding educational outcomes.
We are seeking a talented social media manager and writer/content creator who can take ownership of the voice of Uncommon schools, and our digital presence. This person will have a passion for storytelling, writing, creating new marketing and campaign ideas, strategy setting, and bringing digital channels to the next level. You will tell Uncommon Schools’ most engaging stories in a human-centric way that will capture the hearts and minds of our followers through writing, visuals and occasionally video.
Cross-Platform Content Creation
- Work across the organization to collect, curate, and produce the best content for Uncommon’s marketing efforts.
- Own the processes for collecting the best stories from across our 52 schools to bring Uncommon’s mission to life.
- Write copy for Uncommon’s marketing efforts including daily social media posts, website copy, external emails, and other digital or printed marketing materials. Own the voice of Uncommon Schools across our marketing communications.
- Produce visual content: Utilize the photography sent to us from both professional and amateur photographers, work with in-house graphic designer, and create digital video concepts by managing outside video firms.
Digital Strategy & Management
- Social Media
- Manage all aspects of Uncommon Schools’ social media presence across platforms, including setting content and growth strategy, producing and publishing written and visual content. Serve as the social media expert for the organization.
- Build best practices, processes, and guidelines that improve content and engagement, and drive operational efficiencies through regular data tracking and analysis.
- Work with managers of our regional social media pages to advise on content strategy and best practices.
- Own website content, ensuring both written and visual content is fresh, engaging, and accurate across both Uncommon Schools’ centralized page as well as our region and school-specific pages.
- Partner with outside website development agency for any changes or updates which require coding, troubleshooting, or more extensive work.
- External Emails
- Own the start-to-finish process of developing regular emails to our subscriber base, including drafting the content and aligning with Executive Team on final product.
- Own email content strategy and email content calendar.
- Exceptional writing skills: Ability to use and define a brand voice, ability to tell human-interest and engaging stories, excellent editing and proofreading abilities.
- Experience with managing social media for an organization.
- Knowledge of social media platforms, their respective participants (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) and how each can be used to engage audiences.
- 3-5 years prior work experience preferred.
- Resourceful, self-motivated and able to independently prioritize shifting workloads in a dynamic, ever changing environment.