Full-Time Special Assistant to the CEO
Since 2000, Common Impact has built the leading model to connect talented professionals from global companies to high-potential local nonprofits. As corporate involvement in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and shared value initiatives grows rapidly, Common Impact is expanding and evolving to meet the new demands of this exciting field. Joining our team of cross-sector consultants in delivering high-quality solutions to Fortune 500 companies, the Special Assistant to the CEO will work in partnership with the CEO on strategic organizational initiatives, provide administrative support to our operations and consulting teams, support the roll out, use and maintenance of current and new systems, and perform other administrative activities to support finance and partnership development.
This position offers a unique opportunity to learn about and contribute to the successful operations of an innovative and entrepreneurial nonprofit as it expands a proven model of social impact. The successful candidate must possess excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills; keen attention to detail and experience in project management; and an interest in supporting and strengthening operations through tool development. This is a full-time opportunity to be based in either the Brooklyn, NY or Boston, MA office.
- Provide administrative support to Common Impact’s CEO, operations and consulting team. The Special Assistant to the CEO will support Common Impact’s leadership team on administrative and operations projects, such as maintaining our CRM database (Salesforce.com), scheduling meetings and travel, creating and maintaining tools and spreadsheets, creating presentation decks, and data entry.
- Steward the rollout, use and maintenance current and new operational systems. In early 2017, Common Impact’s operations team conducted an assessment and identified a new set of systems and processes that will ensure effective and efficient program delivery. A critical element of this work moving forward is to ensure that staff are trained on these new systems and using them consistently. The Special Assistant to the CEO will play a key role in stewarding the long term and effective use, by conducting trainings, information audits, reporting and by identifying areas in which the systems need to be evolved.
- Supporting special initiatives. Each year, Common Impact identifies initiatives that will strengthen our mission and service delivery to our partners and clients. The Special Assistant to the CEO will support the implementation of these initiatives by building and maintaining work plans, maintaining reports, supporting outreach to partners, and conducting any other necessary tasks to move these projects forward. In addition, Common Impact has recurring organizational initiatives and events (such as bi-annual staff retreats, the fiscal audit, quarterly Board of Director meetings, insurance renewals, etc.) which require support from the Special Assistant to the CEO.
- Enhancing the organizational culture at Common Impact. At Common Impact, we strongly believe that the spirit in which we do our work is as important as the work itself. We pride ourselves on excellence, innovation, fostering collaboration between groups that might not otherwise interact, and a willingness to have fun with our work. A successful candidate for this position will also hold these values.
CORE SKILLS REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION:
The Special Assistant to the CEO position will allow you to use and develop a number of different skill sets and our ideal candidate will be:
- An excellent written and verbal communicator with experience crafting professional, external facing client communications.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team on a variety of projects, manage his/her time effectively in order to meet deadlines, and gracefully navigate competing priorities.
- Comfortable and knowledgeable with database management. Previous experience with Salesforce.com is a plus.
- A sharp project manager with excellent analytical and organizational skills who can synthesize information, ask insightful questions, spot trends quickly, and make recommendations.
- Able to work effectively and collaborate with team members and clients who are based in other locations.
- Adept at using the MS Office suite of programs. Knowledge of Salesforce a plus.
- Enthusiastic for the mission of Common Impact.
- Interested in the nonprofit sector and advancing career at Common Impact.
Experience: Minimum 1-2 years office administrative experience required
Education: BA/BS preferred
Location: Brooklyn, NY (DUMBO) or Boston, MA
Travel: < 5% for occasional organization-wide meetings
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Common Impact is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse community and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, national origin, color, religion, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.
ABOUT COMMON IMPACT:
Common Impact is a nationally-recognized nonprofit that works to build a society in which individuals and businesses invest their unique talents towards a shared purpose: strengthening the local communities in which we live and work. We connect corporate employees to nonprofit organizations with proven models to tackle the greatest challenges our communities face.
We break down barriers that exist between sectors and industries to create meaningful partnerships between companies, social sector organizations and the people that drive them. The common purpose of these connections: to deliver real value to each partner through innovations in community engagement, and ultimately to address deeply rooted and complex social challenges.
With a deep understanding of both mission-focused and business goals, Common Impact enables growing nonprofits to achieve even greater results in our communities, while simultaneously engaging corporate employees in dynamic and challenging opportunities that develop their skills and unlock successful, purpose-driven careers.
Founded in 2000, Common Impact has partnered with Fortune 500 companies and hundreds of the country’s leading nonprofit organizations to create this transformational change. Learn more about our services, our impact, the companies we work with, and our nonprofit partners.
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter by June 30, 2017 to email@example.com, with “Special Assistant to the CEO – Last Name, First Name” in the subject line (for example, Special Assistant to the CEO – Doe, Jane). Your cover letter should address the following questions (this is no time to be modest!):
- Why do you want to be our Special Assistant to the CEO? What excites you about this position? What skills do you bring that are relevant to this role?
- Please describe an experience you have had managing a project. Include detail on what the scope of the project was, your role, and the outcome.
- Please describe your comfort level and experience leading and owning organizational knowledge management systems including databases and/or electronic filing systems. If applicable, please highlight what platforms you are familiar with and/or have used.
- What excites you about Common Impact? How does our mission resonate with you?
- What are the skills that you hope to develop in this position?