Full-Time Special Assistant, New York Office
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Encore.org is a national nonprofit building a movement to tap the skills and experience of those in midlife and beyond to improve communities and the world. Originally called Civic Ventures, Encore.org was founded in 1998 by social entrepreneur Marc Freedman and grew out of a desire to transform the aging of America—one of the most significant demographic shifts of the 21st century—into a powerful, positive source of individual and social renewal. Our ultimate goal is to create a better future for young people and future generations.
The Position: Special Assistant, New York Office
This position reports to the President, with a dotted line to the Vice President, Marketing and Communications, and is a full-time, non-exempt position. The Special Assistant will provide critical administrative support to the President, in order to leverage her ability to advance Encore.org’s mission and vision, while making the New York office (located at WeWork SohoWest) an effective, efficient and pleasant place for all team members to work.
The Special Assistant will attend to countless administrative, design and logistical details throughout the day, including scheduling and preparing for meetings, managing email traffic, arranging travel, producing presentations and other materials, and more. This position requires regular (Monday through Friday) office presence in order to attend to the on-site demands of the role.
The Special Assistant will partner with the President to provide support across the following functions:
- Manage the President’s calendar with impeccable accuracy to align with priorities.
- Lead preparation for the President’s meetings (research, materials), ensure timely follow up and execution of next steps, transcribe and record meeting notes.
- Oversee the President’s trip planning, including managing all logistics, expenses and registrations.
- Help troubleshoot digital platforms, including but not limited to Apple OS X, Apple Mail, PowerPoint, Gmail, Google Plus and Box.com; coach the President on the use of major social media.
- Provide other support functions, as needed, including expense reports, research and writing.
- Act as an internal resource and liaison for various operational needs and projects at the President’s request.
New York Office Manager
The Special Assistant will serve as Encore.org’s New York office manager and the main point of contact for the following:
- Order supplies, arrange for meetings (including meals, space and logistics) and ensure timely guest access.
- Greet all visitors and help with transportation and lodging support, if needed.
- Liaise with WeWork community managers/landlords.
- Liaise with Encore.org’s San Francisco office, particularly with the Operations and Finance teams.
- Organize and manage use of desks and conference room space in a co-working environment, including tracking use of allotted conference room credits.
General Support and Special Projects
- Lead and curate weekly All-Team calls, including providing input on topics, scheduling guests, communicating with staff and facilitating calls.
- Design and produce professional presentation materials for various team members, as directed by the President and/or VP, Marketing and Communications, for special meetings and projects.
- Work with Board meeting preparation team to help arrange logistics, prepare materials and support senior managers.
- Support logistics and coordination for development cultivation events and other special events, as needed.
- Schedule and support regular Leadership Team meetings, as needed.
You’re a hungry learner. You bring a problem-solving orientation to your work and have a knack for strengthening processes to improve quality and efficiency. You’re insanely proactive, and anticipate others’ needs before they ask – or even become aware of them. You obsess about the details. You’re diligent about maintaining accurate, up-to-date records because you know that strong knowledge management is the foundation for solid decision-making. This attention to detail permeates your work. You have an eye for design and presentation. You’re an early adopter of the latest visual presentation tools.
You’re resourceful and at ease with ambiguity and rapid change. You’re a natural people person and you thrive on building internal and external relationships. You possess a positive, can-do attitude and can juggle many important responsibilities at once. You have spot-on instincts about when to forge ahead and when to seek guidance and input from others on the team. You are comfortable with an office-bound role in an environment where most other team members are working virtually.
- A strong commitment to Encore.org’s mission and goals.
- Superb communication and design skills across all mediums that engage and inspire others.
- Professional poise and polish working in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional organizational, project management, time management, and prioritization skills.
- Rigorous, almost obsessive, attention to detail.
- A strong work ethic, with a desire to go above and beyond standard expectations.
- Impeccable judgment, including a high level of discretion when handling confidential materials.
- A high level of emotional intelligence and ability to develop relationships and credibility with internal and external stakeholders; ability to work with colleagues remotely and in different time zones.
- A high level of proficiency with multiple types of technology, including:
- Word processing and spreadsheets;
- Presentation software and other design tools (PowerPoint skills required);
- Web-based tools: Google Apps, social media and other online/digital communication tools;
- Facility with Mac technology is critically important for this role; PC facility is a plus.
- Board secretariat experience a plus.
- A college degree is required, with a minimum of five years of work experience that shows increasing operational responsibilities and a proven record of success.
- Experience in both nonprofit and corporate environments is a plus.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume in Word or PDF format, along with a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, by February 3, 2017. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please respond to these two questions in your cover letter:
- What makes you a great person to support a busy executive in a bi-coastal organization?
- What learning and growth opportunities do you think this role offers you?