Full-Time Special Assistant to Chief Schools Officer, K-8 (New York City or New Jersey)
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Location: Flexible (NJ/NYC)
Uncommon Schools (Uncommon) is a nonprofit organization that starts and manages outstanding urban charter public schools that close the achievement gap and prepare low-income students to graduate from college. Uncommon builds uncommonly great schools by developing and managing regional networks that are philosophically aligned and highly accountable and by designing and implementing “best-in-class” teacher training. The organization has achieved outstanding academic results based on internal assessments, statewide exams, and graduation milestones. Its schools consistently outperform their district schools and are among the highest-performing urban schools in their cities and states. To learn more about Uncommon click here.
The Special Assistant supports the K-8 Chief Schools Officer (CSO) in administrative and management support, communications, and special projects and reporting, The Special Assistant reports directly to the Chief of Staff and works closely with school Assistant Superintendents, Principals, and Uncommon Schools’ Home Office Staff. We are looking for a go-getter with a can-do attitude. The role will provide a unique opportunity to see and learn about school management and education at a large scale. Location is flexible between Newark and NYC; travel between regions may be required.
- Administrative and Management Support for CSO, K-8 and CSO, K-8 Team
- Ensure the CSO’s time is maximized and aligned with the organization’s priorities by expertly managing the CSO’s calendar, prioritizing appointments, and arranging meetings and travel
- Plan and support meetings: manage logistics and operations, record minutes, and create materials
- Perform general clerical duties, including, but not limited to, photocopying, faxing, mailing, filing, and managing expense reimbursements.
- Project manage CSO’s and CSO team’s work and tasks by monitoring trackers and metrics to ensure progress on high level work toward deadlines
- Support CSO and team to address high priorities and next steps
- Support all communications from the CSO; researching, drafting, and formatting,
- Manage CSO, K-8 knowledge management platform
- Special Project and Reporting
- Manage/support special projects, including school-, network-, and Uncommon-wide projects.
- Support strategic planning process for CSO and Assistant Superintendents
- Perform research and development on best practices and innovation initiatives
- Collect school performance data and create dashboards and presentations
- Prepare external and internal reporting and presentations
- Coordinate school inspections and leader recruitment and selection programs
- Own and manage culture building and investment of CSO Team and leaders
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Strong team orientation and ability to work and communicate well with team members
- Reflective and open to feedback with a hunger to always improve and innovate
- A positive and upbeat attitude
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment\
- High level of flexibility and ability to reprioritize
- Ability to create and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly resourceful and problem-solving team-player, with the ability to be extremely effective independently, as well
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, to be adaptable to various competing demands, and to demonstrate the highest level of service and responsibility.