Full-Time Special Events Director
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Reports to: Chief Marketing Officer
Location: Bronx, Chicago, Stamford, or Detroit
FLSA: Full Time / Exempt
Schedule: Monday-Friday with weekday evenings and/or Saturdays required, up to 25% domestic travel required
Overview of the Organization
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. buildOn is not a charity, it’s a movement. In the United States, we run intensive service learning programs in 40 under-resourced, urban high schools in seven major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 27 years, buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.1 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than 1.0 million people living below the U.S. poverty line. 97% of these youth graduate high school and nearly all of these go to college, even though 40% of the kids going to the same schools drop out.
Teams of buildOn students from our programs also fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built nearly 1,400 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi and Nepal. More than 2.1 million children, parents and grandparents have attended these schools so far, while more than 160,000 attend buildOn schools every day. 50% of all students are girls or women. Most importantly, community members have organized leadership committees and contributed more than 2.1 million volunteer work days to literally build their schools.
Overview of the Role
As buildOn’s Special Event Director you will apply your expertise in event planning, and experiential storytelling to create an experience that inspires people to join the buildOn movement. The Special Events Manager is an integral part of the Marketing team who is responsible for coordinating all of the creative, administrative, and logistical aspects of all fundraising and special events throughout buildOn.
Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer, you will be responsible for co-creating and delivering on the vision for each event. You will manage the budgets for each event while working closely with venues, vendors, and various departments within buildOn, particularly Marketing, Development, and buildOn U.S.
The ideal candidate will be creative and detail oriented. They will be a team leader who loves collaboration. And most of all, they will be committed to buildOn’s mission to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy, and low expectations!
- Plan and manage logistics and budgets for all major fundraising and special events including the ONE buildOn conference.
- Work in tandem with the Marketing and Development teams to design plan, theme, and décor details.
- Partner with the U.S. Program to design meaningful student involvement in all events.
- Create in-kind and event sponsorship strategy in partnership with Development VPs and the Chief Revenue Officer.
- Lead the Marketing team to design marketing materials, review vendor contracts, and coordinate invitations.
- Manage external relations with venue and vendors.
- Coordinate travel plans and overnight arrangements for buildOn team and vendors.
- Manage pre and post-event work; creating stewardship strategy for post-event communication.
What you’ll need to succeed
- You are committed to changing the world. You believe in buildOn’s mission and are committed to equality and service. You are as comfortable in a Bronx High School, or in West Africa, as you are at your desk.
- You are obsessed with quality. You have an intense focus on creating and launching only the highest quality, most compelling, and visually dynamic creative work possible.
- You are focused on the customer. You strive to provide consistently high internal and external stakeholder satisfaction. You have the ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside and outside the organization.
- You communicate persuasively. You can plan and deliver oral, written, and visual communications and stories that move people to action.
- You are entrepreneurial. If you don’t have the tools you need to be successful, you will find them. Challenges don’t overwhelm you; you have the tenacity to overcome them.
- You are strategic. You are focused on achieving your goals and spend your energy on the ideas and tasks to get you there.
- You are a leader. You can motivate people to do their best, to contribute to the vision, while also holding people accountable.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 5+ years of event planning for a multi-million dollar non-profit organization or corporation.
- Minimum 3+ years’ experience in nonprofit development or event fundraising.
- Event management expertise including program integration, giving technology, sponsorship benefits and budget creation.
- Strong project management and organizational skills a must.
- Ability to juggle projects and timelines.
- Experience managing people.
- High level ‘big picture’ strategy and ‘roll up your sleeves’ execution.
- Basic design and email creation experience a plus.
buildOn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For additional information, please visit our website at www.buildon.org
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to: Marketingjobs@buildon.org