Internship Spring Internship
Social Strategy Associates LLC is an inspired consultancy, passionate about the power of philanthropy and business to positively impact our world’s most pressing social and environmental issues. We work with leading organizations, including foundations, corporations, and nonprofits, to design, implement and manage strategic philanthropy and social responsibility programs. Based in New York City, we serve clients across the country.
An internship with Social Strategy Associates is an ideal opportunity for an MPA or other master’s level student seeking to experience the real world of social impact consulting, providing insight into what a future career in philanthropy and social impact would be like. We are a young firm – launched in late 2014 – so the intern will have first-hand exposure to all components of a small venture, from client work to firm-building activities. While Social Strategy Associates is a boutique firm, with two full-time employees in addition to the Founder/Managing Director, this internship will have some of the structure one might expect interning at a well-established enterprise but the benefits of direct client contact and substantive involvement in real client work. We have a collaborative and all-hands-on-deck work culture; most of your time will be spent at an existing client’s beautiful office in the Flatiron neighborhood of Manhattan.
Our current services include: strategic planning; evaluation; prize, competition & fellowship design and management; partnership development; grants management; signature program design; and more. Current clients include four prominent family foundations and two nonprofit organizations. We have a promising business development pipeline heading into Q1 of 2019.
Intern responsibilities will include:
· Actively engaging in the day-to-day management of current client projects, which focus on topics as diverse as social innovation, food systems, education and economic opportunity.
· Preparing client deliverables, including the research, analysis, and administrative tasks that contribute to these deliverables.
· Building the capacity of a start-up firm, from enhancing marketing materials to creating internal processes and systems.
· Preparing materials for and participating in client calls and meetings.
· Possess an “all-hands-on-deck” mentality – that is, from developing high-level strategy to printing out nametags the morning of a public event, our firm prides itself on getting the job done and exceeding client expectations.
· Be a smart generalist possessing high levels of independence and intrinsic motivation.
· Demonstrate superior analytical skills and attention to detail.
· Demonstrate excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, as well as possess outstanding interpersonal skills.
· Possess advanced skills in PowerPoint, Excel, and Word; other tech-savviness, such as knowledge of HTML, is desirable.
· Be a positive individual with a high level of energy.
· Possess a strong academic background; graduate students are preferred.
· Have experience in, or substantial interest in, the social impact space.
· Be able to commit for the entire spring semester, at least January through April, for at least two-and-a-half days per week.
This position pays a stipend of $1,000 per month and, ideally, will help to fulfill credit hours for an approved graduate school program; Social Strategy Associates will also sponsor the cost of academic credits associated with the internship course, if applicable. While our firm anticipates continued growth, no guarantee of future employment is explicitly or implicitly implied as a result of the internship. Previous interns have moved on to consulting roles at various organizations, from the Taproot Foundation to Accenture.