Part-Time Temporary Manager, Contracts & Business Operations
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Department: Legal Affairs & Operations Division: Finance & Administration
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Status: Part-Time, Temporary, Non-Exempt
Reports To: Director, Legal Affairs & Operations
Together with the Director, Legal Affairs & Operations, the Temporary Manager, Contracts & Business Operations is responsible for all aspects of contract management and administration for StoryCorps.
Under the direction of the Director, Legal Affairs & Operations, the Temporary Manager, Contracts & Business Operations will implement an effective document management system for the organization’s contracts. The position will then be responsible for ensuring that current and past contracts are entered into this system, including tracking the termination dates of contracts to ensure agreements are renewed, as needed. The position will also be responsible for reviewing contracts as assigned, with a focus on consultant and service agreements for StoryCorps’ projects. The position will review contract modifications made by third parties, evaluate and approve or reject the changes, and draft alternative language. The Temporary Manager will work interdepartmentally and with external parties, supporting the legal needs of the organization and will explain the legal issues which must be considered in making organizational decisions.
The Temporary Manager, Contracts & Business Operations will also support the business operations of the organization, as assigned. Specific duties may include (but are not limited to) maintaining department records, filing insurance applications and claims, or sorting and delivering office mail.
The position requires discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality for proprietary information, as appropriate. The ideal candidate will be extremely detail-oriented, organized, and efficient, with strong interpersonal skills. This person must be a proactive problem solver, with strong analytical and writing skills.
StoryCorps records, shares, and preserves stories from a diverse range of American voices — from our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, to our Historias Initiative to collect the experiences of Latinos. We seek to recruit and develop a staff whose diversity matches the diversity of the communities we serve, and strongly encourage applications from people of color and the LGBTQ community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Set up an acquisition process to track contracts, and develop procedures for the submission of requests from internal departments
- Ensure the accuracy and integrity of data within the contracts filing system
- Work directly with partners, consultants, and vendors to negotiate terms of agreements, as assigned
- Review and finalize vendor contracts, independent consulting agreements, and other contracts, as assigned
- Ensure internal departments are aware of the legal obligations as represented in the signed agreements
- Respond to and manage requests made by the public to use StoryCorps’ content
- Work interdepartmentally to address the contract needs of each department (e.g. updating templates and term sheets)
- Assist with office management and business operations duties, as assigned — for example, filing insurance applications and claims, submitting payment requests to Finance, sorting and delivering mail, or maintaining and filing department records
- Perform other duties to support the Legal Affairs & Operations department, as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant full-time work experience
- Previous experience reviewing, editing, drafting and negotiating legal agreements with third parties, or equivalent legal education
- Demonstrated understanding of standard contract and licensing and distribution terms
- Strong organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to handle proprietary and sensitive matters with discretion
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated analytical skills and problem-solving ability
- Ability to manage and prioritize simultaneous responsibilities
- Resourceful self-starter with curiosity and desire to learn
- Strong computer skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to form and maintain strong relationships with internal and external customers
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Proven ability to work in a demanding, diverse environment, across multiple tiers and levels of an organization
- Cultural competence and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people
- J.D. or a Master’s Degree in a related field
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in contract negotiation, administration and/or management (strongly preferred)
- Familiarity with licensing rights and clearances
- Excellent database management skills, and proficiency in a contract management system
- Proficiency on a Mac platform
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your last name and the position title in the subject line: for example, “Jones – Temporary Manager, Contracts & Business Operations.” Include your cover letter and resume as attachments titled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.