Full-Time Trek Leader (Senegal)
Trek Leader (Senegal)
Reports to: Trek Manager, Senegal
Hours/FLSA: Full Time/Exempt Status
Schedule: Monday – Friday, Weekends during Trek
Location: Senegal (Kaolack with travel to Burkina Faso)
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Overview of the Organization:
buildOn is a not for profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. In the United States, buildOn runs intensive service learning programs in 40 under-resourced, urban high schools in seven major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through service. Over the last 26 years, 100,000 youth have contributed more than 2.0 million hours of service and touched the lives of more than 1.0 million people living below the poverty line. 97% of these students graduate high school even though more than 40% of kids going to the same schools drop out. Teams of youth from our urban programs also fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built over 1,200 schools in Mali, Malawi, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Haiti, Nicaragua and Nepal. Community members from every village where we build have contributed over 2.0 million volunteer work days to build these schools. Through our Community Teams initiative, any student from any high school, college or university can organize, crowd raise and go build schools. This year alone, more than forty teams will travel to buildOn partner countries, live with host families in remote village and work alongside parents to build schools.
Overview of the Role:
The Trek Leader’s primary focus is to prepare, plan, and lead best-in-class buildOn treks within their country. There are two primary Trek types.
- Treks for buildOn Partners – an opportunity for supporters (high school, college, corporate, family, small group, and individuals) to travel and work in solidarity with community members who are also contributing to the construction of a school in their village.
- Treks for buildOn US – made up of high school students participating in the buildOn US service learning program from some of the most challenged communities across the nation where school systems and families have limited access to resources. Trek is an opportunity for these students to experience tremendous personal growth through travel to the developing world, to work and live in solidarity with rural community members, and to bring those experiences back to their community through Trek presentations.
The ideal candidate is an International Service professional with extensive experience living, traveling, and leading trips in the developing world. The candidate must have a strong desire to live and work aboard and spend extensive time in rural villages. A history of donor stewardship and youth development experience are crucial. The candidate must be highly organized, a creative problem-solver, possesses strong interpersonal skills, and be self-motivated. Consistent with buildOn’s core values and mission statement, he or she must have a passion and understanding of buildOn’s program focus.
The Trek Leader’s primary focus is to lead Treks in a buildOn country with the goal of providing a best-in-class, impactful Trek experience.
The Trek Leader will also have the opportunity to contribute to the Marketing department to tell the buildOn story from the Global program’s perspective. This could include contributing to social media posts, blog posts, donors reporting, and storytelling.
The Trek Leader will perform work involving physical labor at the school`s construction site. The position may require to walk long distances on uneven surfaces and on narrow paths, and to carry items weighing at least 40lb.
- Lead and support Treks
- Communicate the methodology of buildOn Global programs to Trek participants while being sensitive to the unique needs of each Trek participant
- Communicate with Trek Administrators and Trek Manager to ensure logistics are organized for upcoming groups
- Manage visa and passport processes and troubleshoot challenges for volunteers
- Work with the Trek Manager to manage domestic Trek logistics as well as some international logistics as necessary
- Under the supervision of the Trek Manager, ensure Trek participant safety by selecting and training transportation providers, identifying medical clinics, and working with in-country staff to mitigate risk
Finance and Record Keeping
- Manage budgets for specific Treks
- Maintain accurate records and submit timely and detailed Trek reports, evaluations, and finance reconciliations following each Trek
- Review participant medical issues and make appropriate accommodations to ensure the health and safety of all Trek Team members
- Collect photos and anecdotes for donor reports, Marketing team, and buildOn US curriculum
- Earnest and sincere commitment to buildOn’s Mission and Core Values
- Requires 4-year degree & a minimum of 2 years’ related experience
- Experience living and working in the developing world (min. 1 year and preference given for experience in a buildOn partner country)
- Ability to live and work aboard
- Extensive experience leading service projects or as a volunteer
- Demonstrated ability to provide high-level support to donors
- Knowledge and experience in the field of Youth Development
- Demonstrated ability to balance the demands of rigorous methodology with the unique needs of each stakeholder
- Strong interpersonal skills with the capacity for building relationships with all types of stakeholders, from corporate CEOs, to college students, to urban high school youth to rural community members
- Ability to handle cross-cultural communication sensitively, and to communicate clearly, effectively and persuasively both verbally and written
- Demonstrated leadership and organizational ability to balance and coordinate multiple projects, people, and assignments simultaneously
- Track record of taking initiative and requiring minimal supervision while completing complex assignments
- Proven record of maintaining timely and detailed records and reports
- Highly results oriented & independent work style
- Sound judgment/decision-making and ability to remain calm in crisis situations and to think critically under pressure
- Working knowledge of Salesforce
- Proficiency/Fluency in Nepali
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification, or greater, a plus
- Willingness/ability to provide 24/7 On Call Support to Staff in the field
- buildOn Alumni preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the Trek Leader is frequently exposed to conditions that include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and exposure to dust.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the Trek Leader to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The Trek Leader position will lift/push/pull/carry heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time and perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions.
buildOn is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about buildOn, please visit: www.buildon.org
How to Apply
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org