Full-Time Trek Manager, East Coast
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Reports to: Trek Director
Hours/FLSA: Full Time/Exempt
Schedule: Monday – Friday, Weekends for Pre-Trek Events
Location: New York/Stamford & Bridgeport CT/Boston, MA
Internal Deadline: Thursday, May 17, 2018
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Overview of the Organization:
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. buildOn is not a charity, it’s a movement. In the United States, we run intensive service learning programs in 40 under-resourced, urban high schools in seven major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 27 years buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.0 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than 1.0 million people living below the U.S. poverty line. 97% of these youth graduate high school and nearly all of these go to college, even though 40% of the kids going to the same schools drop out.
Teams of buildOn students from our programs also fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built nearly 1,300 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi and Nepal. More than 2 million children, parents and grandparents have attended these schools so far, while more than 160,000 attend buildOn schools every day. 50% of all students are girls or women. Most importantly, community members have organized leadership committees and contributed more than 2.0 million volunteer work days to literally build their schools.
Overview of the Role:
The Trek Manager’s primary focus is to prepare buildOn Trek Participants for Trek and secondary, to support Trek Leaders and Managers remotely by phone and internet as a Risk Manager.
There are 2 primary Trek types:
- Treks for buildOn Partners – an opportunity for supporters (high school, college, corporate, family, small group, and individuals) to travel and work in solidarity with community members who are also contributing to the construction of a school in their village.
- Treks for buildOn US – made up of high school students participating in the buildOn US service learning program from some of the most challenged communities across the nation where school systems and families have limited access to resources. Trek is an opportunity for these students to experience tremendous personal growth through travel to the developing world, to work and live in solidarity with rural community members, and to bring those experiences back to their community through Trek presentations.
The ideal candidate is an international service professional with extensive experience living, traveling, and leading trips in the developing world. A history of service, donor stewardship, and youth development experience are crucial. The candidate must be highly organized, a creative problem-solver, possesses strong interpersonal skills, and is self-motivated. Consistent with buildOn’s core values and mission statement, he or she must have a passion and understanding of buildOn’s program focus.
The Trek Manager will report to the Trek Director and will be in charge of preparing both donors and buildOn US students for participation with Trek. buildOn US students will come from high schools in the Bronx. The Trek Manager for the East Coast will supervise 1-2 part-time Trek Coordinator(s) in each East Coast buildOn cities located in the Bronx, Connecticut and Boston who will spend 100% of their part-time positions on Trek for buildOn US. Additionally, the Trek Manager will work closely with Program Directors and other buildOn US staff to ensure adequate support to students.
Support to Trek Participants
- Prepare all buildOn US Trek participants in New York, Connecticut, and Boston
- Lead recruitment, interviews, and selection
- Lead Information Sessions and Pre Trek Workshops
- Manage visa and passport processes and troubleshoot challenges
- Work closely with parents to ensure all paperwork is submitted and reviewed
- Ensure that students are completing their post-Trek presentations in a timely manner which will help with program recruitment
- Provide additional support to Trek participants in their preparation for travel
- Prepare buildOn Partners to participate in the Trek experience
- Lead information sessions
- Review Trek Enrollment forms and paperwork for any potential legal or medical concerns and follow-up as necessary
- Manage visa and passport processes and troubleshoot challenges for volunteers
- Communicate the methodology of buildOn Global programs to Trek participants while being sensitive to the unique needs of each Trek participant
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with buildOn donors
- Provide additional support to Trek participants in their preparation for travel and be On Call periodically (often times in 2 week clusters or 1/3rd of every month) while students are on Trek.
- Hire, train, and manage Part time Trek Coordinators
- Provide on-call support to Trek Managers and Trek Leaders in the field (in rotation with other Trek Team members)
- Program Development
- Work closely with Trek Director and Trek Managers to enhance buildOn Trek programming through curriculum development, providing feedback on the establishment of protocols, and collecting and disseminating best practices
- Earnest and sincere commitment to buildOn’s Mission and Core Values
- Requires a 4-year degree & a minimum of 2 years’ related experience
- Experience living and working in the developing world (min. 1 year)
- Extensive experience leading service projects or as a volunteer
- Demonstrated ability to provide high-level support to donors
- Knowledge and experience working with urban youth
- Demonstrated ability to balance the demands of a rigorous methodology with the unique needs of each stakeholder
- Strong interpersonal skills with the capacity for building relationships with all types of stakeholders, from corporate CEOs, to college students, to urban high school youth
- Demonstrated leadership and organizational ability to balance and coordinate multiple projects, people, and assignments simultaneously
- Track record of taking initiative and requiring minimal supervision while completing complex assignments
- Proven record of maintaining timely and detailed records and reports
- Highly results oriented & independent work style
- Ability to handle cross-cultural communication sensitively, and to communicate clearly, effectively and persuasively both verbally and written
- Sound judgment/decision-making and ability to remain calm in crisis situations and to think critically under pressure
- Working knowledge of Salesforce
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification, or greater highly valued
- buildOn Alumni preferred
buildOn is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about buildOn, please visit: www.buildon.org
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org