Full-Time Trek Manager, Haiti
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Who Are We
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. We’re not a charity, we’re a movement. In the United States, we run intensive service learning programs in under-resourced, urban high schools in six major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 27 years, buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.1 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than one million people living below the U.S. poverty line. Moreover, 97% of buildOn students graduate high school, and most go on to college.
Globally, teams of students from buildOn programs fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built nearly 1500 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi, and Nepal. More than 2.1 million children, parents, and grandparents have attended these schools so far, while more than 185,000 attend buildOn schools every day. At least, 50% of these buildOn students are girls or women. Most importantly, community members have organized leadership committees and contributed more than 2.1 million volunteer work days to building their schools.
We hope you’ll consider joining our team!
Who We Want
buildOn seeks a Trek Manager whose primary focus is to lead the Trek Program in a buildOn country. There are two primary Trek types:
Treks for buildOn Partners – an opportunity for supporters (high school, college, corporate, family, small group, and individuals) to travel and work in solidarity with community members who are also contributing to the construction of a school in their village.
Treks for buildOn US – made up of high school students participating in the buildOn US service learning program from some of the most challenged communities across the nation where school systems and families have limited access to resources. Trek is an opportunity for these students to experience tremendous personal growth through travel to the developing world, to work and live in solidarity with rural community members, and to bring those experiences back to their community through Trek presentations.
The ideal candidate is an International Service professional with extensive experience living, traveling, and leading trips in the developing world. The candidate must have a strong desire to live and work aboard and spend extensive time in rural villages. A history of donor stewardship and youth development experience are crucial. The candidate must be highly organized, a creative problem-solver, possess strong interpersonal skills, and be self-motivated. Consistent with buildOn’s core values and mission statement, he or she must have a passion and understanding of buildOn’s program focus.
The Trek Manager’s primary focus is to lead the Trek Program in a buildOn country. They will manage a team of a Trek Leader and a Trek Coordinator and work closely with the Country Director to provide a high-quality, impactful Trek experience.
The Trek Manager will also have the opportunity to contribute to the Marketing department to tell the buildOn story from the Global program’s perspective. This could include contributing to social media posts, blog posts, donors reporting, and storytelling.
The Trek Manager will perform work involving physical labor at the school`s construction site. The position may require to walk long distances on uneven surfaces and on narrow paths, and to carry items weighing at least 40lb.
What You’ll Do
- Led and support Treks
- Communicate the methodology of buildOn Global programs to Trek participants while being sensitive to the unique needs of each Trek participant
- Communicate with Trek Administrators and Trek Directors to ensure logistics are organized for upcoming groups
- Manage visa and passport processes and troubleshoot challenges for volunteers
- Maintain a Trek schedule for the country (working closely with Trek Director and Country Director) and create in-country itineraries for all groups
- Review Trek Enrollment forms and Paperwork for any potential medical concerns and make necessary accommodations
- Manage domestic Trek logistics as well as some international logistics as necessary
- Develop and maintain a reliable network of support/resources/knowledge with travel agents, airlines, foreign embassies, local officials, etc.
- Ensure Trek participant safety by selecting and training transportation providers, identifying medical clinics, and working with in-country staff to mitigate risk
- Work closely with Country Directors to ensure the entire Global Team is prepared to host best-in-class Treks
- Work with Trek Director and Country Directors to hire Trek Leader and Trek Coordinator
- Manage Trek Leader and Trek Coordinator giving them the supervision, training, support, and evaluation to lead best-on-class Treks
- Work closely with local Trek Coordinator to hire, train, manage, and evaluate a team of Trek contractors (drivers, cooks, translators)
- Work with Learning Department to develop and implement training for Global Team members
Finance and Record Keeping
- Manage in-country budgets and find efficiencies while maintaining the quality
- Maintain accurate records and submit timely and detailed Trek reports, evaluations, and finance reconciliations following each Trek
- Collect photos and anecdotes for donor reports, Marketing team, and buildOn US curriculum
- Work closely with Trek Director and other Trek Managers to enhance buildOn Trek programming through curriculum development, providing feedback on the establishment of protocols, and collecting and disseminating best practices
- Assist in the development and maintenance of Trek documents with the support of the Trek & Marketing teams
- Work closely with in-country Global staff to ensure a high-quality, impactful Trek experience for all participants
How to Apply
Please send a resume and compelling cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org