Full-Time Vice President of Development, West Coast
Overview of the Organization
buildOn is a not for profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. buildOn runs intensive community service and service learning programs in 44 high schools across the U.S. and empowers youth to contribute direct service to their communities – working with senior citizens, the homeless population and younger children. Through buildOn, students learn to see themselves as the solution, not the problem. They elevate expectations for their communities and themselves. And they develop the character, grit and determination they need to succeed. 97% of buildOn students in the U.S. not only graduate from high school, they go on to college! These same students help build schools in some of the economically poorest countries in the world, bringing access to education to hundreds of communities. buildOn students have contributed more than 1.8 million hours of service in the U.S., and have helped build more than 1,100 schools in Burkina Faso, Haiti, Nepal, Nicaragua, Malawi, Mali, and Senegal.
Overview of the Role
buildOn seeks a dynamic fundraising professional to strategically architect and drive all West Coast (primarily San Francisco, Oakland & Bay Area) fundraising efforts, including major gifts from individuals, corporations and foundations. The ideal candidate is a revenue focused visionary with measurable results in development that is able to create a sense of urgency and responsibility with our partners and potential partners to fully fund all buildOn programs. As Vice President of Development, West Coast, you will work to transform investors from passive philanthropists to active partners, lead innovative fundraising campaigns to increase revenue, and support our efforts in developing a culture of learning and boundary-spanning as part of ONE buildOn. Reporting to the Chief Revenue Officer, you will be an integral part of the development leadership team, leading and engaging smart strategic partnerships that will help support buildOn’s aggressive fundraising targets. As the Vice President of Development, West Coast, you will also work closely with an active and engaged regional board to lead all fundraising, awareness campaigns, and signature West Coast events.
This is a great opportunity for an entrepreneurial yet process-oriented fundraiser who enjoys thinking creatively to expand revenue opportunities and build a robust pipeline of donors in support of buildOn’s mission. He/she must have the interpersonal and communications skills necessary to capture and represent buildOn’s unique voice and business model. If you have a history of leading successful fundraising campaigns in the Bay Area with measurable results, then buildOn is the right place for you!
- Expand major and mid-level gifts with the greatest focus on funding for buildOn U.S.
- Recruit executive level business leaders to join regional board with specific emphasis on new, relevant industries where there is authentic mission overlap and fundraising capability.
- Create a pipeline of major gift prospects through targeted outreach, leveraging regional boards, Trek and the buildOn Immersion Platforms: Partnership Program, 36 Hours and Treks.
- Partner with Marketing to engage more corporations in the buildOn Journey from awareness to advocacy with a strong focus on buildOn’s Immersion Platforms.
- Develop and implement strategies for solicitation that will grow annual revenue from individuals.
- Empower all board members and major donors to give personally and solicit funds on behalf of buildOn.
- Increase mid-level gifts through annual marketing fundraising campaigns.
- Launch a comprehensive planned giving program.
- Manage all appeal campaigns and monitor online giving initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with other program areas to advance fundraising goals.
- Meet with funders as determined.
- Empower all board members and major donors to solicit company participation in buildOn’s Immersion Platforms: Partnership Program, 36 Hours, and Treks.
- Motivate strongest buildOn investors and recruit new ones to fully participate in the buildOn Immersion Platforms.
- Expand the buildOn Partnership Program curriculum to include relevant tracks for key partners that will provide meaningful learning for buildOn students (ie: technology track).
- Convert major event sponsors into full partners and advocates for buildOn U.S. through the buildOn Immersion Platforms.
- Manage Development Directors and provide strong leadership for the Partnership Coordinators in delivering meaningful events with Partnership Programs, 36 Hours, and Special Events.
- Target professional networks, diversity and inclusion groups as a unique point of entry for new prospects.
- Expand new business outreach to include major investors for buildOn Global.
- Leverage relationships with major corporate and individual donors to expand foundation funding to support all programs.
- Fill pipeline of foundation prospects through outreach to current stakeholders, boards, and networks.
- Research global, national and regional foundations whose funding align with our work.
- Develop a concerted outreach to family foundations of high network stakeholders.
- Earnest and sincere commitment to buildOn’s Mission and Core Values.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree and non-profit management experience preferred.
- 6-8 years of fundraising and sales experience with a proven track record in major gifts, individual giving and corporate partnerships.
- Strong people management experience and communications skills.
- Successful track record in cultivating relationships with major gift donors and corporations.
- Experience managing budgets, revenue streams, and revenue playbook.
- Extensive knowledge of the San Francisco/Oakland and Bay Area philanthropic community and ability to seek out and engage new prospects.
buildOn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For additional information, please visit our website at www.buildOn.org
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to Developmentjobs@buildon.org