Full-Time Vice President of Development, Midwest
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Title: Vice President of Development, Midwest
Reports to: Chief Revenue Officer
Location: Chicago, IL
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Developmentjobs@buildon.org
Overview of the Organization
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. buildOn is not a charity, it’s a movement. In the United States, we run intensive service learning programs in 40 under-resourced, urban high schools in seven major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 27 years, buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.0 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than 1.0 million people living below the U.S. poverty line. 97% of these youth graduate high school and nearly all of these go to college, even though 40% of the kids going to the same schools drop out.
Teams of buildOn students from our programs also fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built nearly 1,300 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi and Nepal. More than 2.0 million children, parents and grand-parents have attended these schools so far, while more than 160,000 attend buildOn schools every day. 50% of all students are girls or women. Most importantly, community members have organized leadership committees and contributed more than 2.0 million volunteer work days to literally build their schools.
Overview of the Role
buildOn seeks a dynamic fundraising professional to strategically architect and drive all Midwest (Chicago and Detroit) fundraising efforts, including major gifts from individuals, corporations and foundations. The ideal candidate is a revenue focused visionary with measurable results in development that is able to create a sense of urgency and responsibility with our partners and potential partners to fully fund all buildOn programs. As Vice President of Development, Midwest, you will work to transform investors from passive philanthropists to active partners, lead innovative fundraising campaigns to increase revenue, and support our efforts in developing a culture of learning and boundary-spanning as part of ONE buildOn. Reporting to the Chief Revenue Officer, you will be an integral part of the development leadership team, leading and engaging smart strategic partnerships that will help support buildOn’s aggressive fundraising targets. As the Vice President of Development, Midwest, you will also work closely with an active and engaged regional board to lead all fundraising, awareness campaigns, and signature Midwest events.
This is a great opportunity for an entrepreneurial yet process-oriented fundraiser who enjoys thinking creatively to expand revenue opportunities and build a robust pipeline of donors in support of buildOn’s mission. He/she must have the interpersonal and communications skills necessary to capture and represent buildOn’s unique voice and business model. If you have a history of leading successful fundraising campaigns in Chicago with measurable results, then buildOn is the right place for you!
- Expand major and mid-level gifts with the greatest focus on funding for buildOn U.S.
- Recruit executive level business leaders to join regional board with specific emphasis on new, relevant industries where there is authentic mission overlap and fundraising capability.
- Create a pipeline of major gift prospects through targeted outreach, leveraging regional boards, Trek and the buildOn Immersion Platforms: Partnership Program, 36 Hours and Treks.
- Partner with Marketing to engage more corporations in the buildOn Journey from awareness to advocacy with a strong focus on buildOn’s Immersion Platforms.
- Develop and implement strategies for solicitation that will grow annual revenue from individuals.
- Empower all board members and major donors to give personally and solicit funds on behalf of buildOn.
- Increase mid-level gifts through annual marketing fundraising campaigns.
- Launch a comprehensive planned giving program.
- Manage all appeal campaigns and monitor online giving initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with other program areas to advance fundraising goals.
- Meet with funders as determined.
- Empower all board members and major donors to solicit company participation in buildOn’s Immersion Platforms: Partnership Program, 36 Hours, and Treks.
- Motivate strongest buildOn investors and recruit new ones to fully participate in the buildOn Immersion Platforms.
- Expand the buildOn Partnership Program curriculum to include relevant tracks for key partners that will provide meaningful learning for buildOn students (ie: technology track).
- Convert major event sponsors into full partners and advocates for buildOn U.S. through the buildOn Immersion Platforms.
- Manage Development Directors and provide strong leadership for the Partnership Coordinators in delivering meaningful events with Partnership Programs, 36 Hours, and Special Events.
- Target professional networks, diversity and inclusion groups as a unique point of entry for new prospects.
- Expand new business outreach to include major investors for buildOn Global.
- Leverage relationships with major corporate and individual donors to expand foundation funding to support all programs.
- Fill pipeline of foundation prospects through outreach to current stakeholders, boards, and networks.
- Research global, national and regional foundations whose funding aligns with our work.
- Develop a concerted outreach to family foundations of high network stakeholders.
- Earnest and sincere commitment to buildOn’s Mission and Core Values.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree and non-profit management experience preferred.
- 6-8 years of fundraising and sales experience with a proven track record in major gifts, individual giving and corporate partnerships.
- Strong people management experience and communications skills.
- Successful track record in cultivating relationships with major gift donors and corporations.
- Experience managing budgets, revenue streams, and revenue playbook.
- Extensive knowledge of the Chicago and/or Detroit philanthropic community and ability to seek out and engage new prospects.
buildOn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For additional information, please visit our website at www.buildOn.org