Full-Time Volunteer and Development Coordinator
Position: Volunteer & Development Coordinator
Compensation: $15/hour with opportunity for growth
Type: Full-time, non-exempt position (hourly)
Start Date: May/June 2018
Schedule: 40 hours/week
About Us: Harlem Grown’s mission is to inspire youth to lead healthy and ambitious lives through mentorship and hands-on education in urban farming, sustainability, and nutrition.
Our Farms & Facilities: Harlem Grown operates soil-based urban farms, school gardens, and a hydroponic greenhouse, and is opening a new youth program at Riverton Square’s Community Center. Our offices and properties are located between 122 and 151 Streets in Central & East Harlem, Manhattan.
Our Programs: Harlem Grown provides youth and community development programs focused on urban farming, wellness, and sustainability. Our youth-focused programs include intensive school partnerships placing sustainability mentors in five public schools, as well as educational farm tours, summer camp, a Saturday enrichment program, an afterschool program, and a workforce development program for at-risk young adults. Our community development programs include volunteer service opportunities, wellness workshops, special events, food scrap collection for composting, and fresh farm produce distribution to participants, volunteers, and neighborhood residents.
Job Overview: Harlem Grown seeks an organized, self-starter to join our small but mighty team as our Volunteer & Development Coordinator to support volunteer management (including volunteer groups, individuals, and interns) and fundraising efforts. There will also be marketing and communications tasks. The Coordinator will report to the Development Director, and work closely with the Agriculture Director and Programming Director to coordinate farm-based and/or in-school volunteer groups.
- Prospect, promote, schedule and implement volunteer service projects for corporate and other groups, including hands-on support of projects on the farms and in the schools, working closely with the Agriculture Director and/or other program staff to plan a fun, engaging service opportunity
- Track volunteer service hours by facilitating online registration and on-site check-in process
- Interview, schedule and manage office interns including Communications Intern, Development Intern, Volunteer Intern and Special Events Intern
- Support Harlem Grown community, family services, and fundraising events by creating and promoting marketing materials, as well as securing sponsorships, in-kind donations, and volunteers
- Assist HG’s Executive Director, Development Director and COO to reach yearly fundraising goals
- In a timely manner, create and send acknowledgment letters to donors, both individual and corporate
- Record donations and correspondence, maintain detailed records and create monthly fundraising reports to track potential and existing funders and corporate sponsors, working closely with the Development Director and Office Manager to ensure accurate records in our CRM system, Mailchimp, Quickbooks, and spreadsheets
- Design campaigns and create written content to promote HG’s work via our website, social media, e-newsletter, and print materials, working closely with the COO and Program Director to ensure mission and programmatic alignment
- Serve as a role model for youth and reinforce Harlem Grown’s values of honesty, respect, and responsibility
- Self-starter and quick-learner who can troubleshoot and suggest solutions to the team
- Excellent organizational, communication and project management skills
- Personable, friendly, positive team player able to build relationships with key funders and supporters
- Polished and professional writer capable of/experienced in creating engaging content for online or print materials
- Experience securing funding from foundations, corporations, individuals, and/or government entities, a plus
- Experience in event management, a plus
- Ability to supervise interns and volunteers, and to work with diverse community members
- Motivated, creative and punctual, able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility to work during mornings, nights or weekends, and willingness to work outdoors in summer heat or cold spring mornings
- Knowledge of CRM and fundraising data systems, a plus
How to Apply
How to Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Volunteer & Development Coordinator Application ” followed by your first and last name in the subject line. Application Deadline: TBD