Full-Time Volunteer (Immersion) Coordinator
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Title: U.S. Immersion Coordinator Bronx/Bridgeport
Reports to: U.S. Immersion Director
Location: New York (NY) and Bridgeport (CT)
FLSA: Full Time / Non-Exempt
Schedule: Monday-Friday with some 2-3 weekday evenings and/or some Saturdays may be required
Various Work Locations: NY regional buildOn office (if applicable), various buildOn schools, and corporate offices
Travel: Up to 30% domestic travel required. This position is based in New York City, but the Immersion Coordinator will lead some Immersions in the CT region.
Overview of the Organization
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. buildOn is not a charity, it’s a movement. In the United States, we run intensive service learning programs in 40 underserved high schools in six major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 27 years, buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.3 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than 1.0 million people living below the U.S. poverty line. 97% of these youth graduate high school and nearly all of these go to college, even though 40% of the kids going to the same schools drop out.
Teams of buildOn students from our programs also fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built over 1,400 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi and Nepal. More than 2.2 million children, parents and grandparents have attended these schools so far, while more than 160,000 attend buildOn schools every day. 50% of all students are girls or women. Most importantly, community members have organized leadership committees and contributed more than 2.2 million volunteer work days to literally build their schools
Overview of the Role
The U.S. Immersion Coordinator organizes and leads powerful and immersive service experiences that connect our funding partners to the buildOn mission and promote a genuine cultural exchange. Individuals in this role must have a dynamic and welcoming presence to recruit, energize, and lead buildOn students, staff, and partners simultaneously. This role is integral in helping our funding partners understand the impact of buildOn and leading them to become powerful advocates for the cause. In all responsibilities, the U.S. Immersion Coordinator works across boundaries to collaborate closely with various departments, particularly buildOn U.S., Development, and Marketing. This position touches all aspects of the organization and is a great stepping stone to develop Marketing, Development, and Programming skills for future advancement.
The U.S. Immersion Coordinator will support the following initiatives and more:
- Partnership Program: a six-session experience pairing adult volunteers/partners from various companies with buildOn students for skill-sharing and service activities following a curricular theme such as Civic Engagement, College Readiness, Career Readiness, or Financial Literacy.
- 36 Hours: a personal and immersive experience that allows business and community leaders to travel to a buildOn neighborhood and “walk in the shoes” of our U.S. students through a student-led immersion experience.
- Fundraising events in various buildOn regions.
- Student Storytelling: elevate the stories of buildOn students and the impact of service to inspire people to join and support the buildOn movement.
The U.S. Immersion Coordinator will be the primary point of support within the home region and likely also work remotely across regions to support one (or more) additional buildOn region(s).
- Coordinate buildOn U.S. involvement in all external-facing fund development, marketing, and stakeholder engagement opportunities to sustain and grow financial support for buildOn U.S.
- Plan and facilitate Partnership Program sessions for students and adult volunteers.
- Coordinate logistics for each Partnership Program session including meeting space, student transportation, and food.
- Strengthen Partnership Program curriculum, structure, and processes individually and collaboratively.
- Coordinate student, school, and community integration for various immersions and events.
- Lead student preparation for storytelling or activities related to immersions and events.
- Coordinate service projects for students and donors and lead them alongside buildOn U.S. team members.
- Help facilitate the collection of data and content to report on buildOn U.S. programs to funders.
- With the Program Director’s collaboration, manage additional buildOn U.S. team support for all external initiatives as necessary.
- Maintain consistent, excellent communication with Immersion Director, Program Director, and applicable buildOn U.S., Development, and Marketing team members.
- Manage the regional US Immersion budget, including monthly account reconciliation, expense reporting, and ongoing tracking.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Immersion Director and/or Chief Marketing Officer.
What you’ll need to succeed
- You are committed to changing the world. You believe in buildOn’s mission and are committed to equality and service. You are as comfortable in a Bronx High School, or in West Africa, as you are at your desk.
- You are obsessed with quality. You have an intense focus on creating and launching only the highest quality, most compelling, and visually dynamic creative work possible.
- You are focused on the customer. You strive to provide consistently high internal and external stakeholder satisfaction. You have the ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside and outside the organization.
- You communicate persuasively. You can plan and deliver oral, written, and visual communications and stories that move people to action.
- You are entrepreneurial. If you don’t have the tools you need to be successful, you will find them. Challenges don’t overwhelm you; you have the tenacity to overcome them.
- You are strategic. You are focused on achieving your goals and spend your energy on the ideas and tasks to get you there.
- You are a leader. You can motivate people to do their best, to contribute to the vision, while also holding people accountable.
Skills Developed in This Role
- External donor communication and stewardship
- Classroom management
- Following and adapting curriculum
- Use of multimedia Marketing tools
- Event planning
Required Characteristics of Excellent Candidates
- Personal commitment to buildOn’s mission – the power of service to change lives, communities, and the world
- Committed to buildOn’s core values of empowerment, responsibility, and compassion
- Is gritty – tries really hard and never gives up on mission and getting results.
- Invested in continual growth and learning through ongoing discovery, execution, and reflection
- Exceptionally skilled at considering and incorporating a variety of perspectives in events and activities
- An intense focus on creating and launching only the highest quality, most compelling, and dynamic work possible.
- Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside and outside the organization.
- Strives to provide consistently high internal and external stakeholder satisfaction.
- Skilled at planning and delivering oral, written, and visual communications and stories that impact and persuade their intended audiences.
- Superb organization skills
- Strong facilitation and public speaking skills
- Adaptive and flexible in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment
- Disciplined with time to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Relevant educational background (Bachelor’s degree required)
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to: Marketingjobs@buildon.org